OK, so not everyone becomes a kale connoisseur right out of the shoot. I get it. It wasn’t until I started to explore the merits of kale and swap delicious recipes with friends that I incorporated it into my diet, with gusto.
If this Top 10 List of reasons doesn’t make you SuperKALEfanatical, the recipes below will!
1. Kale is low in calories, high in fiber and has zero fat.
2. Kale is high in iron.
3. Kale is high in Vitamin K.
4. Kale is filled with powerful antioxidants.
5. Kale is a great anti-inflammatory food.
6. Kale is great for cardiovascular support.
7. Kale is high in Vitamin A.
8. Kale is high in Vitamin C.
9. Kale is high in calcium.
10. Kale is a great detox food.
Kale has been deemed a nutritional superstar over and over again. A few other fun facts about one of my favorite veggies include:
- There are over 50 varieties of kale
- America plants more acres in Kale than Brussels Sprouts (another one of my favorites)
- After a frost, kale becomes sweeter
- Thomas Jefferson experimented with several varieties of kale at his garden in the early 1800’s
- Kale’s carotenoids are linked to one’s level of optimism
- Kale has been in cultivation for over 6,000 years! (source)
Many people cultivate a love affair with this nutritious veggie by adding kale into salads, smoothies, juices, sautés, stir fry, and making crispy kale chips.
Here are some of my favorite Superfood Kale recipes:
A new one too:
All Hail Kale Juice
4 whole kale leaves
2 small apples, or one large apple
2 stalks celery
Steps) Juice ingredients, or blend them with some fresh water.
Enjoy this sweet treat in good health!